You know you’ve got the travel bug when…

You know you’ve got the travel bug when…

Okay so there’s obviously no such thing as an actual travel bug (unless you have Bali belly), it’s more of a feeling or state of mind that takes over your whole life. After having travelled to countless countries I can now say the travel bug has taken a hold of me (rather fiercely I might add), and I can’t see myself getting rid of it any time soon. So if you have at least 5 of the ‘symptoms’ below, I’d say you have caught the travel bug:

– You think about travel 24/7, or at least once a day.

– You are constantly coming up with crazy schemes in your mind that could fund your travel plans, even if deep down you know they will never work. The odds of winning the lottery aren’t that bad right?

– You take as many extra shifts at work as you possibly can, even if you kind of hate yourself while you’re there. Do I want to work until midnight? No… But I will.

– You make big sacrifices in order to save cash. This could include not drinking alcohol, less socialising with friends or living off two-minute noodles. I reckon I could live off Mi Goreng for a few days at least…

– You have attempted to sell half your junk on eBay or at markets to fund your travels. Why doesn’t anyone want to buy the pink jeans I bought back in 2008 and never wore? Ugh.

– You dream about the day you’ll once again be in another country embracing the culture, rather than what you are actually doing right now which is probably sitting on your couch. Literally me as I write this blog post.

– You Google the cuisines from far away places, hoping one day you’ll get to try them. Mmmm, paella. Apparently not pronounced the way it looks.

– You follow countless travel blogs and Instagram pages, living vicariously through them. Check out Backpacker Banter and Nomadic Matt.

– You check your bank account as soon as payday arrives, so you can see those dollars adding up for your next trip.

-You measure things in terms of travel potential. 1 hour of serving customers at work = 1 night at a European hostel.

– You can spend hours on the Internet researching flights and accommodation, even if it’s for a trip you aren’t planning to actually take. Did you know there are tours that go to North Korea?!

– You’re thinking about your next trip before you’ve even finished your current one

– You’re drawn to all things foreign including people, food and culture.

– You realise you have way too many belongings. If you can survive with just a suitcase while travelling, you can pretty much do the same at home. It’s all about the simple life.

– Home doesn’t feel quite the same anymore as you are always dreaming of faraway places that you may or may not have been to. *Pictures myself hiking in a lush forest in the pacific northwest of America*

Now who else has caught the travel bug?!

Share:

12 Comments

1. Becca Lee
    March 26, 2016 / 11:37 pm

Haha thank you Elle!!

• Becca Lee
      March 26, 2016 / 2:04 pm

That’s awesome! Thanks for reading 🙂

2. March 26, 2016 / 4:48 pm

Haha I love this!! All so true☺️ I’ll telling my friends to follow you!

3. July 13, 2016 / 7:15 pm

Hahaha I looovee this it’s so relatable 😂 seriously already planning my next trip even though I’m a year away from ending this one!

4. Becca Lee
    July 13, 2016 / 7:16 pm

Haha thanks Ben 🙂 Loving your blog, can’t believe your doing such an epic trip, sooo jealous! Can’t wait to follow your adventures.

5. Natalie LaTurno
    July 18, 2016 / 12:23 pm

Hi Becca, awesome blog! I was on a tour with EF tours just last week. I traveled through Rome,Athens, and some Greek islands. On the cruise we were on, I met a bunch of people traveling with Contiki and it looked like they were having the time of their life! I had a blast on my trip, but EF is typically centered more with high school (I just graduated) and I would like to plan my next trip and Contiki looks awesome. I was wondering from your experience if most people travel with friends through Contiki? On my EF tour I knew everyone in the group because we all went to high school together.. So with Contiki is it normal for their to just be solo travelers because you will meet people within the group? Did you go not knowing anyone or did you have some friends to go with you?

• July 18, 2016 / 1:06 pm

Hi Natalie, thanks so much! That sounds awesome, where are you from?
      From my experience, many people do Contiki solo so it won’t be hard to make friends because there are so many others in the same boat! I went with my cousin, but probably around half of my tour group were solo travellers. Where are you thinking of going?
      Becca 🙂

6. September 14, 2016 / 7:02 am

Hahaha so true! Especially the one for researching places you’re not even going! I’m terrible for that!

7. Becca Lee
    September 14, 2016 / 10:56 am

Hahaha me too! i’ll look up hostels and stuff for random cities and then be like ‘wait, what am i doing this for?!’ haha.

• September 14, 2016 / 2:50 pm

😂😂 same! And before you know it you’ve wasted 2 hours of your life!

• Becca Lee